A team of the law firm’s experts provides legal assistance in the field of copyright and related rights to operators in the following sectors:
- Mass media
- Advertising and marketing
- Science and innovation
- Creation and production of computer games
- Creation and implementation of IT solutions
- Culture, arts and entertainment
- Audiovisual production
- Industrial design
- Architecture and construction
We provide legal services to authors, businesses, local governments and academic institutions which use copyrighted works and items protected by related rights in their activities.
Culture, arts and entertainment
Our experts provide comprehensive legal services to the organisers of cultural and mass events, including theatrical performances, festivals and concerts.
- Legal advice provided to television broadcasting companies, publishing houses, museums, film and music producers, and festival offices.
- Audit of contracts used by cultural institutions the subject matter of which was the use of intellectual property rights.
- Preparation of draft agreements for audiovisual programmes as well as documentaries and feature films.
- Comprehensive legal services for the first Polish interactive entertainment television.
- Drafting of record contracts, actor contracts and other contracts in the field of artistic performance (such as dubbing contracts).
- Legal advice on the use of music under the free creative commons licence in film production.
- Drafting, assessment and negotiation of publishing contracts, contracts with authors, translators, photographers and illustrators.
- Legal advice to entities operating in the field of digital platforms and pay movie channels.
The law firm provides legal advice to the press publishers, broadcasters and operators of Internet portals as regards the protection of newspapers, protection of published materials, contracts with creative employees or other providers of such materials. The legal assistance for entities operating in the mass media also includes regulatory matters, representation in proceedings before the President of the Office of Competition and Consumer Protection, and representation in lawsuits concerning infringement of copyrights or moral rights.
Advertising and marketing
The legal assistance in the field of advertising and marketing is provided to advertising agencies, broadcasters, and operators ordering advertising campaigns. Legal support in this area involves in particular:
- Issuing opinions on advertising materials in terms of their compliance with the law, including with respect to sensitive products (medicinal products and food supplements, alcoholic beverages, and tobacco).
- Drafting of agreements on the creation or use of works in advertising campaigns, as well as on the use of image and voice.
- Representation before the authorities that monitor the compliance of advertising with the law.
We provide advice to operators and designers on how to protect their intellectual property rights.
- Analysis of whether industrial designs are registrable, and their registration.
- Drafting and negotiating of licensing agreements and agreements transferring copyrights to industrial designs.
- Resolving disputes concerning infringements of copyright in applied art works (interior decoration, furniture, clothing and footwear, packaging and product labels).
Copyright on the Internet
Our team specialises in solving legal problems related to economic activity on the Internet, ranging from drafting of agreements for the creation and implementation of an Internet portal, through agreements concerning the creation and delivery of content, to protection of the interests of participants in electronic trading.
- Drafting, assessment and negotiation of agreements for the creation of an Internet portal.
- Support in the process of management of intellectual property on the Internet.
- Protection of the rights of creators and other beneficiaries, both at the pre-trial stage and during litigation.
- Legal advice on conducting advertising campaigns on the Internet and on social networking sites.
- Consultancy in the field of e-commerce, including development of a legal strategy for the management of own and acquired intellectual property and e-trading in copyrighted works.
Software and computer games
Intellectual property products increasingly play a leading role in the wider IT industry. In particular, this applies to software, without which it is impossible to conduct business. Our experts have extensive knowledge of not only the legislation, but also the technical and economic issues of importance in the IT industry.
- Drafting and negotiating of contracts, including for both standard and bespoke software.
- Resolution of disputes relating to software, including as regards the possibility of modifying someone else’s computer programme, the status of software updates and upgrades in legal and copyright terms, as well as the so-called free licences (e.g. open source).
- Assistance in the preparation of the legal aspects of the implementation process, especially in public procurement procedures, and comprehensive support in this field to public sector entities and businesses, such as banks and insurance companies.
- Legal support in the marketing of new kinds of products, such as IT solutions or computer games, including in the preparation of distribution agreements.
- Comprehensive analysis of intellectual property resources in a company (employee works, copyright agreements) to ensure the company’s rights are properly secured.
Architecture and construction
Our team advises architects and designers as well as investors and developers in the use of copyrights in architectural designs, building plans and specifications, working designs, and subcontractor documentation.
- Issuing opinions and drafting contractual clauses relating to copyrights in agreements for the development of architectural designs and building plans and specifications.
- Consultancy on the use of the copyrights of architects in creating and using building documentation for developer companies in the investment process.
- Issuing opinions on the possibility of making changes to plans and specifications during construction and interior finishing from the point of view of copyrights vested in the designers.
- Representation in litigation for infringement of copyrights to architectural and building concepts.
- Defining of the boundaries and forms of architectural supervision in the process of implementing a construction project.
- Comprehensive legal services to architectural firms as regards the distribution of finished architectural designs.
- Preparing copyright clauses in public procurement procedures and assessing the possibility of requesting changes in plans and specifications in negotiated contract procedures.
Science and innovation
The law firm provides legal support as regards the cooperation between the public and the private actors which involves the transfer of technology to business and commercialization of innovative solutions, and provides legal services in this field to universities, research and development institutions, as well as business owners.
Our experts advise on the legal audit of the means of protection of technology, selection of optimal methods of protection, and commercialization. Our experience includes legal services in connection with research and development projects carried out by universities at the request of business owners and as part of research consortia with the participation of businesses.
Training and workshops
Our experts conduct training and workshops on copyright law, press law, and new technologies law. These include internal training and workshops for specific companies, adapted to the legal and business environment in which the companies operate.