You are welcome to participate in a webinar entitled “Status and role of a DPO in view of the most recent rulings and positions of supervision authorities and courts”, which will be held on 16 June 2020.
During the webinar we will review the most recent decisions on the status and role of a DPO in an organisation and their conclusions for the practical performance of a DPO function. We will also discuss (4) the issue of insurance policies for a DPO, i.e. what types of policies are currently offered on the market, whether it is worth to have such a policy and what it actually does protect from.
We will focus especially on the following cases:
- Belgium: a fine imposed on Proximus with the explanation:
- whether a DPO may hold functions of a compliance officer or head of the audit and risk management department;
- what additional responsibilities and functions may he held by a DPO; what additional responsibilities and functions may cause a conflict of interests within the meaning of Article 38.6 of GDPD;
- what should be done in order to avoid a conflict of interests;
- whether it is necessary to have a conflict of interests policy in place;
- Germany: the position of the Bavarian supervision authority, which has explained:
- whether an organisation may appoint more than one DPO;
- whether a DPO may have a deputy;
- whether it is necessary to appoint a DPO team and what is the status thereof;
- Germany: the ruling of the German Regional Labour Court, wherein it has been resolved:
- what should be understood under a notion of professional knowledge required from a DPO;
- whether a DPO should be “an expert in everything”;
- when a DPO can be removed;
- when the removal of a DPO will be reasonable.